Wednesday 6 June 2012

California and massive trees..

Well all is well here, just had one really wet day which was almost welcome as it took me back to the adventures a  the start of the trip.

I am now in sunny California. Well it is now, it wasn't the day i crossed into the state.

It was sad saying goodbye to Oregon and all the people I had met. Top of the list were a couple from Kansas called Don and Mary who had spen the week before Dons' daughter was getting married by cycling to her wedding. It was great bumping into them from time to time on the trip and sharing some stories. I hope one day they can make it over to the UK and we can go for a ride back home.

The first day riding in California was pretty hard. 70 miles or so and some big climbs out of Crescent City but it was after then that the riding became a lot of fun. After a 5 mile climb I was at the top of a long but shallow 7 mile decent through the Redwood Forests along a road called the Newton B Dury Scenic Parkway. The road was cutting through Redwood forests.

Such as this
Now I had heard about how big the trees are but seeing them is something else. It is amazing just jumping off the bike and going for a walk through the forest. It is so peaceful and eiree in there and makes you feel so tiny. Some of them are over 350ft tall! Kanckered after a long ride I ptched tent at a campsite and had these guys as interesting neighbours....

Elk
Apparently they can do you quite a nasty if they take a disliking of you!

The next pleace I stopped was Eureka. They have a really good brewery there called Lost Coast where I had one too many and wobbled back on my bike after meeting some good people in there.

The next day I had more riging through the Redwoods on a great road whic was pretty much empty for 35 miles and cut through the Forests see below.



I tried a shot with my self timer and this was the result, It had been raining all day but the mood was still good, better han the photography any how.



The night after this I treated myself to a B&B in a town called Miranda, which was really friendly place you will be glad to know.

Apart from the foryas ino the Redwoods the riding had been horrid. All on dual carriageways with fast moving traffic and then yesterday on single lane, really busy roads with a lot of logging trucks.....scary. You have to pedal flat out for about 3 minutes then take a rest and wait for some more traffice to go by then go again.

Thankfully I am now on the US 1 after getting on to it and heading back to the coast. This will now take me to SF 200 miles or so away. Route 1 is a great road, busy at times but through spectacular scenery and rolling hills. Yesterday I climbed up to 2000 ft and had an amazing decent all the way back to sea level.

It's great to be riding along the coast again and I have met another tourer from Australia who has been good company. It was nice to have some companionship riding and also to drink a few beers with whilst watching the sunset last night over the ocean.


The road to Fort Bragg this morning

I am now sat in a library in Fort Bragg. I have only done about 15 miles today and I am not planning on many more as the sun is out and it's a scorcher. A day on the beach awaits.

I am a bit apprehensive about arriving in the big city of San Francisco soon as it has been such great wilderness for the trip so far.

Thanks for reading
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment