Tuesday 29 May 2012

A computer which I thought worked, sunshine and a theiving Racoon

Hello.

I am currently in a town called Reedsport which is fairly central in Oregon. The miles have been flying passed helped by a good tail wind and also some incredible scenery.

Since I last wrote I have camped evey night which has been good fun and kept the cost of the trip down. The Staurday night however I got a bit of a fright when I awoke to my food bags getting ripped to shreds outside, It was hard to get back to sleep after this but somehow managed. 2 hours later I woke up to a big warm lump sat on top of my tent...! I shouted and pushed it off and lay awake for about 2 hours after that..I can just invisage the Racoon using my tent as a hammock whilst eating my food!

As I can now put some pictures up I will add a few that should have been in the last update.......

Well I would but just found out that I still can not upload pictures....Foiled at the final hurdle!

So it looks like it's just back to my drone again...

Riding from Tillamook there were some steepish climbs up over 3 capes but all of them were worth it as the views were spectaular.

It was yesterday however that the I had my best day of the trip. I stopped off at a really cool bike charity project (Green Bike Co.) where I tweaked the bike I rode to a town called Yachats and as I was there the sun proeprly burst through the grey that had been overhead for 3 days. This coincided with such an amazing stretch of coastal road. Route 101 hugged the coast and climbed up and down. The views were awe inspiring and it bought me to tears again as it was the first time that I could see so much of the coastline and all in brilliant sunshine. This 25 mile stretch I will remember for the rest of my life. It maybe took me about 2 and a half hours to cover the distance as I just had to keep stopping to take pictures (again imagine them here if the bloody computer would allow me to put them up...!) At the end of this stretch I arrived at the Oregon Dunes. They spread for what looks like an enternity and inland they have a number of beautiful lakes surrounded by trees. The dunes are enormous too, I tried walking up one but I was too tired after a ride and gave up not even half way up one.

It's been cool meeting fellow tourers as well. A really cool retired couple form Kansas who I have bumped into twice in campsites, a German couple who I shared a bottle of wine with last night and a girl from Oakland who I rode with for 10 miles or so. They have all been realy cool people and super friendly as have all the locals. I am pleased to say though that I have not yet been overtaken by anyone else with touring gear and hope to keep it that way the whole trip.

Well, I will leave it at that for now, I really wish that I could sort out the pictures and as soon as I do you will all get bombarded..

Missing home a bit but every corner I turn offers me something new and exciting so I am holding up well. Maybe I will treat myself to a day off the saddle tomorrow though.

Thanks for reading,
Sam x

1 comment:

  1. sounds great -looking forward to the pics - have forwarded the link to Simon

    ReplyDelete